I have another sad tale of pests. I have a rhubarb plant which I harvest often for rhubarb crumble or compote. Suddenly, terror struck, and my poor rhubarb was almost stripped bare. I searched for the culprit and I couldn't find it. Who was this killer foe?
 |
| Mr slug, we meet again... |
So, turns out I had an army of slugs waiting in the hedgerow. They come out at night, partly not to be seen by predators and partly to keep from drying out. Slugs were originally from the sea, so they have to keep themselves moist. So, under the cover of darkness, they creep towards my precious rhubarb and nibble away at the leaves. Whilst this doesn't actually damage the stems, it makes the leaves unhealthy, and will decrease your crop dramatically.
So what can I do?
Well, I am planning to make a pub. Not just any pub, but a Slug Pub. The Slug Pub for Sluggish Slugs and Snoozy Snails. Beer poured into a glass ramekin with non-sloping sides makes up my simple slug pub. For the beer? They go for fresh and earthy. Wouldn't you, if you were a slimy, up-to-no-good slug?
Not looking forward to the results! :( *gross*
No comments:
Post a Comment