Friday, 20 June 2014

Herb Of The Month: Sweet Cicley

I know it hasn't been a month yet, but I have loads of herbs I want to show, so this month will have two. This month (again) we will have sweet cicley. A sweet (not surprisingly) herb that grows like a weed in my garden.

















Plant Group: Hardy Perennial
Harvest: March to October

To Grow:
It grows pretty well in partial shade, and should not be out in a 
pot because of its long and deep roots. It has nice white flowers (in picture)
and those will turn into seeds later on in the year.

Uses:
A slight aniseedy note combined with a hint of sweetness makes this herb taste lovely. It works best in Compotes, and Crumbles due to its sweet taste and its ability to reduce acidity in other ingredients.

Drying:
Not worth it really, drying sweet cicley makes it relatively tasteless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment